Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"Solitary"


I first began to paint a solitary oak tree after making several trips to Positive Images, the gallery in Austin that carries my work.  I always stop in Ellinger which is a spot on the highway with only a BarBQ restaurant and a gas station/bakery/grill/curio shop.  They make wonderful poppy seed kolaches so that is a scheduled break in the drive.  Hmmmm.   Haven't made any kolaches in quiet a while.  Maybe soon.  I usually park on the side which faces a huge vacant lot with a magnificent oak tree standing alone in the middle of the lot.  It just seemed to call to me to paint it and, to me anyway, it had to be the focus of a minimalist composition.  If you're new to my work, you'll soon find out that a horizon is almost always prevalent.  It represents hope and new beginnings.  This version is painted on a 10x30 canvas with the sides and a small edge painted black so no frame is needed.  The size of the canvas makes it perfect for that spot where nothing else will fit but is desperate for a statement piece.  Even though I use really vibrant hues and very energetic brushwork, the composition conveys a feeling of quiet and peace.  I have posted this piece for purchase on www.texasgalgallery.com .  If you're interested in a smaller piece or a mini, check out www.myotherstore.etsy.com
Have a blessed day.
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment